Commercial Lines FAQ

Commercial Lines FAQs

In an attempt to assist our customers with issues related to COVID-19, we have gathered a list of common questions and answers for both personal & commercial customers. If you have additional questions that are not covered in the links below, please contact our office. This situation is evolving daily and insurers continue to make announcements regarding relief for policyholders. We will attempt to keep this information as up to date as possible as we work through this together.


Most insurance companies are aware of the financial impact COVID-19 is having on Canadian businesses and are willing to assist policy holders on a case-by-case basis with payment solutions. Many will defer payments for up to 30 days, and some are waiving NSF fees. While the companies are trying to ease financial burdens, there is an expectation that the premiums will be paid. Please contact our office if you’d like more information on your specific company options.

My business has lost income due to COVID-19. What can I do?

Many business owners are experiencing losses in revenue or closures due to COVID-19. Many customers have inquired about any possible insurance coverage during this time.

At this point, all insurers have made general statements about business interruption coverage as follows:

Property insurance policies, and any business interruption coverage requires direct physical damage by an insured peril to trigger coverage for a claim.

A pandemic, such as COVID-19, does not trigger coverage as there has been no direct physical loss to property.

To learn more about how business interruption coverage and how it is triggered, please visit this site.

The Canadian government continues to announce a series of measures to help individuals and businesses. More information on how to access assistance is available here.

My licence is about to expire and the Service Ontario site is closed. Can I still drive?

Service Ontario has the ability to provide many services online. Please visit this site to view services provided. They have extended validation to expired and expiring driver’s licenses, health cards, Ontario Photo Cards, licence plate stickers, and accessible parking permits.

My business has been forced to close and is now vacant. How does this affect my insurance?

Insurance policies generally exclude coverage if your premises are knowingly vacant or closed for 30 or more days. At present time, all insurers have not taken the same stance on vacancy, but most have extended the time allowed for vacancy from 30 days to 60 days. With this, the property must be maintained and checked every 72 hours. If you are concerned about this, please contact our office and discuss with a member of our team to go over your specific situation.

Please find links below for Official information on COVID-19:

World Health Organization

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Public Health Canada